Thursday, July 11, 2013

In-N-Out... of the hospital

So that went well. My cath lab procedure on Tuesday took four hours from beginning to end and then an overnight stay for observation. I had a chest echo done Wednesday morning to observe valve function and flow as well as an x-ray to show proper placement. Dr. Brent Gordon and his team did an excellent job. If you are ever in SoCal and need a heart valve replaced, he's the best. A really interesting part aside from having a pulmonic valve threaded up my femoral artery, was getting to handle a Gore-tex covered platinum stent.

My stent is stainless steel with cow vein sewn into it, but in Europe and other parts of the free world outside of FDA control, doctors have the option of using this fancier stent. I signed a form agreeing to be part of a Johns Hopkins study should my artery tear and the Gore-tex platinum stent become necessary during the procedure. Thankfully the Melody Valve went in smoothly with no drama. Just having the option available to use a more advanced material was exciting. I can't imagine what will be available seven to ten years from now! I'm sure the good folks at Medtronic are staying busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment