Thursday, May 2, 2013

Live on Purpose

So last month I turned 30. The big three-oh. I feel like with a healthy diet, exercise, regular prayers, Bible reading, and logic games I will make it to 90. Lots of folks in my family lived past 85 and several were over 90... I think it is possible that I am just finished with the first third of my life and am looking forward to my next 60 years :).  What am I doing with my time?

I answer many folks' question of "What do you do?" with a subtle: "I'm in sporting goods." Sometimes for effect I'll say "I'm an arms dealer." Then my wife pokes me in the ribs to clarify that I sell guns (not via surplus Russian Antonov in the Congo) at a sporting goods store. So that accounts for 40 hours, but what am I DOING? Again, that is a hard question that requires introspection. To say I'm still studying Mandarin would be a very generous statement. To say I'm gardening (we did just plant a 4' tall camellia) would make it sound like I spent an inordinate amount of time weeding, pruning or improving our yard. That, I do in small amounts, but not enough to be declared a gardener. Reading? Yes, I read probably more than any of my colleagues, but not in any sort of concentrated or organized method. I feel a bit like I'm drifting (no pun intended).

As a high schooler I wanted to be a radiologist: hahaha! Way too much organic chemistry required for that. As a student at UA I first wanted to earn a business degree (too much math/statistics) then possibly become a lawyer (too much debt after earning bachelor's). So I went to China. And that was very good:) When I look back on what I did there and how I met my wife on that journey, I'm amazed. I don't understand why so many folks chase comfort over adventure, or settle for familiarity instead of growing beyond themselves. It wasn't hard deciding to move to China compared with moving to California. As I stated in earlier posts, I LOVE my new home in California and am glad that my wife is from here... there are worse fates than life in Southern California.

Sorry, I digress. Tempus fugit... carpe diem. For you non-Latin speakers that roughly translates to "Time flies... seize the day."  I really want to be able to say in 10 years that I spent my time encouraging my wife to excel. Also I want to deepen my relationship with the Lord and spend more time in His Word. My fantastically generous M.I.L. Kathi gave me a Kindle for my birthday with the stipulation I download the Bible first. I logged in and with the magic of Amazon, now have an electric NIV Bible.

It is much easier looking up verses on that instead of thumbing through pages. I still cherish my leather clad Bibles and think of all the enlightening Proverbs, encouraging Psalms, life changing Gospels and Pauline Epistles that are highlighted and bookmarked. My record for consecutive days of Bible reading was at UA after completing the Rick Warren 40 Days series. I don't remember how long it lasted, but I want to shatter that by reading daily for the next year. As the experts say 3 weeks establishes a habit, it should be well ingrained before the end of May. The times when I remember feeling most content were times I was reading the Word. My "restart" has been Ephesians 6:13, a very encouraging verse. I encourage all of y'all to give it a try, or if it is already in your daily routine please encourage me in the comments to keep it up. Thanks very much. Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful & encouraging reflections! How is the Bible reading habit?

    ReplyDelete