Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Drifter Looks at 30.

I always wanted to be a soldier since I was a little kid.  God had different plans for me.
Papah holding me 30 years ago
When I was very young, I felt my God-given passion for firearms meant that I should be a warfighter. Thankfully, there are other occupations that lead to world travel & firearms expertise. I will mention those jobs later on, but suffice it to say, I've had a good time doing things for the Lord overseas.

At three days old, I was diagnosed with a heart problem called Aortic Valve Stenosis. A corrective surgery fixed the problem until 1993, when I underwent a Ross Procedure, followed by another operation in 2006. My parents told me "This is God's way of keeping you out of harm." Which makes very good sense to a rambunctious boy who would have gotten injured in a contact sport, or gone to war (likely getting shot up or blown up like so many my age).

Having combat struck from my list of options, I chose to earn a Political Science degree from Alabama (Roll Tide Roll), and then teach English in China instead of attending law school. That decision has worked out phenomenally well. Sharing Jesus with folks overseas, while being paid to do it (provided furnished apartment, etc.) is a wonderful thing. My wife and I actually met at an orientation for prospective China teachers. Our friendship was forged in the heat of Wuhan, and on trips to an orphanage out in the countryside. I don't think I'd have found such a beautiful bride were I stationed in Baghdad or Kandahar.

Aside from working in Wuhan for a three year stretch, I also did some short trips to Fiji while in college. There in Suva, we studied with locals and had worship every evening. That whet my appetite for future travels. My conservative count of twelve countries (more if Scotland/Wales counted separately) pales in comparison to my wife's travels. In twenty-seven years she claims 40 countries visited. Many of hers were volunteer related, just like my trips to Fiji. Antarctica is the only continent that neither of us has been... yet.

We feel that travel provides a wealth of memories that no big house, fancy car, or flashy jewelry could ever provide. I hope my journeys inspire others to go to new places. Think of a place you've always thought was just out of reach; I'm sure with proper planning a trip can become feasible. One of the blessings of Christianity is that places all over the world are ready to host you if you're willing to donate a week or two of your time helping improve their community. Another thrifty way to travel is to visit your family... they will appreciate your smiling face much more in person than on Skype.

A final goal for my family is to visit each of the 50 states. Wife and I have already been to Hawaii and Alaska, and spent a week driving across America on I-40 from Alabama to California. Since most of what we haven't seen is along the East Coast, we feel this is well within reach. It would be a whole lot of fun to go in an RV with kids. I chose the handle "Bama Drifter" because I like to drift from one journey to the next. Where will you go?

A few of the places I visited instead of the Middle East...

Fiji
China
Vietnam
Cambodia
Laos
India
Great Britain (incl. Scotland & Wales)
Canada
Mexico
Namibia
Malawi
South Africa
---
Great Wall -Beijing
Terracotta Warriors -Xi'an
Angkor Wat -Siem Reap
London
Edinburgh
Shanghai
New York
Boston
Kauai
Malibu
Hong Kong
Alaska
Wyoming
Montana
-----
Sequoia
Joshua Tree
Grand Canyon
Yosemite
Denali
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons 
-----
Hunting in Alabama
Fishing in Alaska
50 mile canoe/fishing via Bissett, Manitoba
65 mile backpack/hiking at Philmont
Snow skiing in Colorado
Whale watching in Maui
African Safari (kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, springbok, impala, jackal)

Places yet unseen...
Italy
Germany
Switzerland

No comments:

Post a Comment