Monday, March 26, 2012

Three pairs of Wranglers


I went nine years without a new pair of jeans. To be more specific, nine years without buying any blue jeans. My freshman year of college, September 2002, I bought two pairs of jeans at Old Navy on sale- 2 for $30. The impetus for that purchase was to spare my khakis from the grime of Bruno’s Supermarket where I was a bagger/ shopping cart wrangler.  I don’t think I ever wore anything but khaki pants to class. My philosophy has always been to dress for success, and denim seems to convey too casual an attitude for college classes.  Many of my friends would disagree on that point (and one actually gave me some second-hand jeans) but I digress.

Over the years, those Old Navy jeans got small holes around the pockets and tattered cuffs; they were disposed of and replaced by the much more durable legendary Carhartt pants.  I thought all was well in my fashion world interchanging khakis and Carhartts. Floating above the pop culture hubbub, disgusted with developing trends like the ‘slim fit’ and then the abominable ‘skinny leg,’ I thought I could happily live out my days secure in my aforementioned pant choices.  But having a wife will change your way of seeing things.

One sunny day, after an honest day's work in my beloved khakis, the Wife was running down a list of things to do. It was the usual: bank, Trader Joe’s, Joanne's Fabrics, chocolate shop, and Target for some odds and ends. Our shopping was uneventful till we reached the clothing section of Target. My precious bride asked if I would try on a few pair of jeans. No problem, I thought. The khakis I normally wear for work had developed some rips and I figured I was due for a new pair of pants. 

After trying on three pairs of Wranglers, I told her which I liked best and thought that would be the end of it. No, no, no… Wife insisted that we buy all of them and I should try on MORE JEANS. Apparently my legs look quite attractive in denim.  So four more tries and each one elicits enthusiastic approval. I said, “This is crazy, nobody needs more than two pair of jeans!” Lovely wife insisted I must have four pair… I whine and moan to no avail. I use my most cute and sad face that I usually reserve for requesting extra ammo at Christmas.  That doesn’t work either. Finally we come to an agreement. In exchange for scooping the cat box for a week, I may choose three pair of jeans and she will sweeten the deal by throwing in my choice of tee shirt. I pick out a black shirt with an old school Yellowstone Park logo. It is now a win-win!

At $19.99 each for my boot cut Wrangler jeans and $9.99 for the shirt, we are about $70 deep into a timeless, yet trendy new look for my wardrobe. I have since worn these to work and received positive feedback from colleagues young and old. I also wore them to church at Pepperdine in L.A. Nothing says “Born in the USA” quite like some good old fashioned blue jeans. I think I may get used to it.

God Bless. 

3 comments:

  1. My oh my...truly the apple does not fall far from the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new phase in the fashions of Johnny! Sounds like a good one. And I enjoyed picturing your "most cute and sad face." It's a family trait, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you have found the expression to be equally effective on James. Hooray happiness gene! May it be ever dominant. Shalom.

      Delete